The choice of electrocoat over other coating techniques is usually driven by the lower total applied cost of electrocoat
ELECTROCOATING FIGHTS CORROSION
Electrocoating is an epoxy based organic polymer coating, which uses electrical current to deposit the paint. The process works on the principle of ‘opposite charges attract’, wherein an electrocoat system applies a DC charge to a metal part immersed in a bath of oppositely charged paint particles. The paint particles are drawn to the metal part and the paint is deposited on the part, forming an even, continuous film of coating over every surface, every crevice and corner, until the coating reaches the required thickness. The film insulates the part, electrical attraction stops and the electroplating is complete. Cathodic epoxy electrocoating has been widely used in the automotive industry for many years. REALM has adapted this process to fasteners and is now a benchmark for corrosion resistance in the construction industry
ADVANTAGES OF ELECTROCOATING
APPLICATION & PERFORMANCE
• Outstanding film uniformity – consistent film on all part-to-part surfaces.
• Total coverage of complex parts configuration – coating on all recessed area and sharp edges.
• Precise film build control – uses DC voltage to deposit paint only where it is needed.
• Pre-assembly before coating – less post paint rejects.
• Wide range of products – to meet corrosion, durability and other performance specifications.
• Flexibility – multiple part configurations can be coated in one tank without having to change the application equipment.
• Recycled water – closed-loop system reduces water loss.
• Totally automated process – no direct labour.
• Very high productivity – dense and non-uniform line loading.
• Very high transfer efficiency – closed- loop rinse system approaches 100%
• Lower energy requirements – No dry-off oven, minimal exhaust equipment.
• Minimal maintenance – minimal hook cleaning, no ‘booth’ maintenance.
• Lower insurance coverage – no specific fire or health hazards.
• Minimal solid wastes – closed-loop system reduces paint loss.
• Reduced fire hazard – waterborne systems.
• EPA compliance – low or zero VOC and HAPS coatings.
• OSHA compliance – no special personal protection.
• Cleaner application – totally enclosed syst